2022 Dog License Sales at Shelter!
- In-person dog license sales at the Shelter have resumed! Residents who need to purchase a County dog license may come to the Shelter and ring the doorbell at the main doors for assistance, on the following days/time:
- Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday, Sunday: 9am-5pm
- Thursday, Friday: 9am-7pm
- Mondays: Shelter is closed; no availability
- Dog licenses may also be purchased in-person at the Department of Tax Administration: www.fairfaxcounty.gov/taxes/dog-license-information
Updated adoption process, now easier to book appointments to visit available pets!
- We have updated our adoption process, and it's now easier to schedule an appointment to come visit available pets! (Just email us!) We remain closed for unscheduled walk-in visits. For full details and instructions: www.fairfaxcounty.gov/animalshelter/adopt/steps
Essential services by advance appointment only:
- Return-to-owner of stray pets: If your pet is at the Shelter as a stray, email or call to make an appointment to reclaim them. Email – email@example.com – is preferred due to the expected high volume.
- If you find a stray dog in Fairfax County, you have two options. You may call Animal Protection (703-691-2131) to pick the dog up, or you may hold on to the dog (if you do this option, you must file a found report).
- If you see a stray cat, please visit this webpage for more info: www.fairfaxcounty.gov/animalshelter/catintake
- Pet surrenders: We are accepting owner-surrendered pets from Fairfax County residents, by appointment only. If you need to surrender your pet, please email or call to make an appointment. Email is preferred: firstname.lastname@example.org. For more info, visit: www.fairfaxcounty.gov/animalshelter/surrenderingyourpet
- Dog and cat food pet pantry: If you are a Fairfax County resident facing financial hardship and are in need of dog or cat food (canned and/or dry) to help care for your pet(s) during this difficult and challenging time, please call or email us; the Shelter has a supply of these items available. Call (703-830-1100) or email (email@example.com) to arrange a time for pickup.
- Low-cost rabies vaccination clinics: 2022 dates are posted! Registration for each clinic opens one month in advance. Dates and details: www.fairfaxcounty.gov/animalshelter/communityassistance/rabiesclinics
We are now accepting a very limited number of items as donations. If it's not on the below list, please do not leave it at the shelter; we simply don't have any more storage space, or we cannot use the donated items, and we're having to throw things in the dumpster which we'd like to avoid!
For more info: www.fairfaxcounty.gov/animalshelter/donate
Paused programs and services:
- Volunteer program – we have paused the onboarding for our in-house volunteer program
- Shelter Tours and Reading Tails
- All Scout programming
- Workshops, group meetings, events
If you have any questions about the changes in Shelter programs and services, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be doing our best to respond in a timely manner. We thank you for your patience as we continue to navigate this ever-changing situation while balancing the needs of the shelter pets in our care with the health and safety of our staff, volunteers, and community.
If you have an animal-related emergency, such as ill/injured wildlife, a stray dog, or potential abuse or neglect, please contact Animal Protection at 703-691-2131. For more info: www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/specializedunits/animalprotectionpolice