Family caregivers selflessly care for older adults and adults with disabilities by providing physical and emotional support, as well as financial and medical assistance. This year’s theme for National Family Caregivers Month is "Caregiving Around the Clock."
- Family caregiving spans across all generations and includes parents, adult children, siblings, partners, spouses, friends, and neighbors who provide care for a loved one.
- Caregivers manage a wide range of responsibilities including helping with household tasks, assisting with personal care, helping with legal and financial matters, assisting with medical and nursing tasks often with little to no training, and more.
- An estimated 53 million adults in the United States have provided care to a loved one within the past 12 months.
- In Virginia, one in five is a family caregiver.
- In Fairfax County, 59% of older residents provides unpaid care at home for a chronically ill, disabled, or aging loved one.