Division of Environmental Health

Fairfax County, Virginia

CONTACT INFORMATION: Our Environmental Health Services office at 10777 Main Street in Fairfax is open during regular business hours 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday. Clinic services are not offered at this location.

TTY 711

10777 Main Street
Fairfax, VA 22030

Pieter A. Sheehan, REHS,
Director, Division of Environmental Health

Religiously Exempt Child Care Facilities

Religiously Exempt Child Care Facility Permits

The Virginia Legislature has made changes to the Virginia Law for child care providers that went into effect July 1, 2021. The law has changed the agency that regulates childcare from the Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) to the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE). Therefore, effective immediately, the Fairfax County Health Department will no longer require religious-exempt child care facilities to obtain a Health Department permit to operate a child care facility. 

Religious-exempt programs should still submit a statement of intent prior to opening and annually thereafter with the VDOE.

For question about filing a statement of intent with VDOE, please contact fairfax.cclicensing@doe.virginia.gov.


Obtaining An Environmental Sanitation Report From The Health Department 

The Health Department will continue to conduct the Health Sanitation Inspection (CORE) on request. When another Commonwealth of Virginia agency, for example the DOE, requires your facility or businesses to obtain an Environmental Sanitation Inspection from the Health Department, you will make the request by using PLUS. A sanitation inspection is also known as a CORE inspection.

These facilities and businesses may include but are not limited to private schools and childcare centers. 


Child Care Facility Food Permitting

If food is prepared and served on the premises, the facility must obtain a Permit to Operate a Food Establishment from Fairfax County Health Department and comply with state and local food codes. 

If food is brought by the child, a Permit to Operate a Food Establishment is not required.  If Food is catered / delivered by a third party a Permit to Operate a Food Establishment may be required.

For more information on the application process, visit the Food Establishment Owners and Operators page or call 703-246-2201, TTY 711.



Fairfax Virtual Assistant