With an award-winning system of 420 parks, the Fairfax County Park Authority relies on the support of thousands of volunteers to support its programs and initiatives. It would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to operate this nationally recognized park system without the support of volunteers.
The Park Authority is seeking nominations of individual volunteers for the 2022 Elly Doyle Park Service Awards or Elly Doyle Youth/Student Awards. Group and individual nominations are also being accepted for the Harold L. Strickland Partnership and Collaboration Award, Mayo Stuntz Cultural Stewardship Award and the Sally Ormsby Environmental Stewardship Award. All nominations are due by Friday, June 17, 2022. The nomination form is available at the 2022 Elly Doyle Park Service Awards Nominations page. Nominations in all categories may be submitted by the general public, including Park Authority employees and volunteers.
- Elly Doyle Park Service Award & Youth/Student Award: This pair of awards honors Ellamae “Elly” Doyle’s many years of service and accomplishments as a member and chairman of the Park Authority Board. Fairfax County’s park system expanded and thrived during her tenure with the addition of significant open space, new recreational facilities and a commitment to preservation of local natural and cultural resources.
- The Harold L. Strickland Partnership and Collaboration Award: Honors the retired Park Board member’s service and significant contributions to the Park Authority by recognizing outstanding teamwork and cooperation necessary to provide state-of-the-art facilities in Fairfax County parks.
- The Mayo Stuntz Cultural Stewardship Award: Honors historian, volunteer and acclaimed author Mayo S. Stuntz by recognizing outstanding contributions to FCPA cultural preservation efforts.
- The Sally Ormsby Environmental Stewardship Award: Recognizes Sally B. Ormsby’s many years of service as a citizen steward and honors others who help preserve and educate about local natural resources and the importance of the environment.
- The Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Award, a new award approved by the Park Board on March 23, 2022, recognizes significant, tangible contributions made by individuals, organizations or businesses that help accomplish the Park Authority’s strategic priority to enhance diversity systemwide and foster a culture of inclusion in parks and/or within the surrounding community.
All award recipients will be honored this fall. Additional information about the Elly Doyle Park Service Awards may be found at the Elly Doyle Park Service Awards page.
For more information or for alternative formats of the applications, please contact the Public Information Office at 703-324-8662 or via Parkmail@fairfaxcounty.gov.