PLUS Project Update
On January 31, 2022, Fairfax County launched Release 3 of the Planning Land Use System (PLUS), the online platform designed to unify existing zoning, building, permitting and other land development processes into a one-stop-shop for industry and the public. Through PLUS, customers can conduct online transactions under the Departments of Health, Land Development Services, Fire and Rescue, Code Compliance and Planning and Development. Customers can create and submit applications online (such as building permits), pay fees, track application status, receive electronic notifications and conduct searches.
The following transactions are included in PLUS Release 3:
Fire and Rescue
- Fire Prevention Code Permits
- Examples: Bonfire, Event, Assembly, Commercial Kitchen, etc.
- Inspections not associated with a permit, Amendments, and Time Accounting
- Examples: Regulated Care Facilities, Occupancy, Existing Fire Protection System Maintenance, etc.
Planning and Development
- Architectural Review Board
- Architectural Review Board Workshop
- Additional Time to Commence Development
- Minor Variations of Approved Zoning Applications
- Interpretations of Approved Zoning Applications
- Model Home Sales and Leasing Office
- Farmers Market
- Special Event
- Seasonal Sales Commercial
- Construction Site Office and Storage
Land Development Services
- Household Appliances/Inspections
- Home Improvement Contractor (HIC) License Renewal
To use the new services on the PLUS platform, applicants must first register for a free account at PLUS Application Portal. Others can browse and search the site without logging in. More details about PLUS, and training materials, including user guides and videos are available on the DPD Plus Information & Support page.
DPD Operating Status
The Department of Planning and Development (DPD) provides service to our customers from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Planners of the Day (POD) from the various divisions are available to answer questions. DPD’s Planner of the Day webpage contains contact information for the PODs and the types of questions each POD can answer. We encourage you to call or email us with your request or to set up a virtual or in-person appointment.
DPD phone numbers and email contact information is provided below:
- Planning Division | 703-324-1380 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zoning Administration | 703-324-1314 | email@example.com
- Zoning Evaluation | 703-324-1290 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zoning Permits* | 703-222-1082 | DPZMailforZPRB@fairfaxcounty.gov
*Please note, all plat requests, permit review and application submission processes remain virtual; walk-in service for these functions is not available.
Zoning Permit Applications and Submissions
Please visit our Zoning Permits page to download and print permit applications, including:
- Food Truck Location and Operation Permits
- Nonresidential Use Permits
- Short-Term Lodging Permits
- Administrative Permits for Temporary Uses
- Mail the completed application along with a check for the applicable fee (payable to Fairfax County) to the mailing address on the application.
- Drop off the completed application along with a drop off sheet, and check for the applicable fee (payable to Fairfax County) in the drop-box labeled "Zoning Drop-off" at the Herrity Building main entrance.
- Email the completed application and submit an online payment for the applicable fee. All email submissions require an online payment. A copy of the online payment receipt must be provided at the time of application submission.
For zoning information requests or for submission of height certifications, final house location surveys, setback certifications, and contact with local zoning administrator forms for childcare, please send an email to DPZmailforZPRB@fairfaxcounty.gov.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your application or submission, please send an email to DPZmailforZPRB@fairfaxcounty.gov or call 703-222-1082, TTY 711.
Sign Permit Application Submissions
Sign Permit applications, along with submission information and materials are available online. Please note that staff assesses sign permit application fees after the application is logged-in. Following application log-in, staff will contact the applicant with the fee amount and payment instructions. All permit approvals will be emailed to the applicant.
For sign permit related questions, please send an email to DPDMailforZPB-SPS@FairfaxCounty.gov or call 703-324-4300, TTY 711.
Assistance from a Distance
Public Hearings and Meetings
Public Hearings of the Board of Supervisors, Planning Commission and Board of Zoning Appeals will follow the direction of those bodies. If you have specific questions about your application, letter, or other request, please contact the staff person assigned or the appropriate branch. You may also call our front desk at 703-324-1290 for assistance or general questions.
For the most up-to-date information on public hearings and meetings, please visit: