Recycling Program Requirements
Business owners are required to provide a recycling system for their employees and customers. Cardboard and mixed paper recycling is mandatory for all businesses and institutions. There are no exceptions and no thresholds. Details about material types, collection frequency, reporting requirements, etc. can be found in Chapter 109.1 as well as the Fairfax County Recycling Program Requirements. Recycling guidelines for employees, commercial building tenants and property owners and managing companies are available online.
- FAQs: Trash & Recycling Service for Businesses
- Builders' Guide to Reuse & Recycling
- Recycling at Office and Retail Properties
Most businesses hire a collection company to pick up their trash. A second option, however, is to become a permitted disposal company or a commercial pay customer in order to self-haul materials to a county disposal site. Read through the list of Business Categories to learn more.
Specialized or Hazardous Waste
Almost any workplace can generate waste that is potentially toxic or hazardous to the environment. Our website has information on: rechargeable batteries, commercial hazardous wastes such as fluorescent light bulbs, as well as electronics and computer recycling. The county also hosts periodic collection events for businesses that generate very small quantities of hazardous waste.
- Very Small Quantity Generators (VSQG - formerly CESQG)
Regulations, Worksheets and Forms
- Chapter 109.1 of the Code of the County of Fairfax, VA
- Municipal Solid Waste Management Plan. Call 703-324-5230, TTY 711 to request a copy.
- Waste Stream Calculation Worksheet for Nonresidential Use
- Broker Registration Form
- Broker Client Information