The Educational Foundation of the Virginia Association of Soil and Water Conservation Districts annually offers four $1,000 scholarships to graduating high school seniors or college freshmen for college study. The scholarships support studies related to natural resource conservation. Applications must arrive at the NVSWCD office by April 1, 2022. Applications for students who reside in Fairfax County must be submitted to the Northern Virginia Soil and Water Conservation District, which will select one student for consideration by the state committee. Each of Virginia's 47 soil and water conservation districts in the state may nominate one applicant. Selection for consideration by the state committee does not guarantee the receipt of a VASWCDEF scholarship. Not a resident of Fairfax County? Virginia residents can find their local SWCD here.
NVSWCD offers one $1,000 Future Conservation Leaders Scholarship to eligible applicants from Fairfax County. The guidelines, application criteria, and deadlines for the Young Conservation Leaders Scholarship are the same as those for the VASWCD Educational Foundation Scholarship.
Applications received by NVSWCD are considered for both the Future Conservation Leaders Scholarship and nomination to the state committee for the VASWCDEF scholarship.
- To promote the education of Virginia citizens in technical fields associated with natural resource conservation and environmental protection.
- To give financial support to students majoring or showing a strong desire to major in a course curriculum related to natural resource conservation and/or environmental studies.
- Individual applicants must be full-time students enrolled in or who have applied to a college freshman level curriculum.
- Applicants must be Fairfax County residents. Not a resident of Fairfax County? Virginia residents can find their local SWCD here.
- Applicants shall document a class ranking in the top 20% of his/her graduating class or a 3.0 or greater Grade Point Average, or appropriate equivalent of individual scholastic achievement. The most recent official high school or college transcript must accompany the application. (The official transcript may be sent separately, but must arrive by the April 1 deadline.)
- Applicants shall demonstrate an active interest in conservation and the environment. Applications are evaluated with regard to all sections of the scholarship application, including scholastic achievement, extra-curricular and leadership activities, financial considerations, employment and volunteer work, letters of reference and the essays.
- Three letters of reference must be attached, or, if sent separately, must arrive by the April 1 deadline.
- Applications will be reviewed by local and state panels and all applications and information contained therein shall remain confidential.
- Four $1,000 scholarships will be awarded statewide this year from the VASWCD Educational Foundation, with checks to be issued to the selected school in each student's name.
- One $1,000 Future Conservation Leaders Scholarship will be awarded locally to a Fairfax County resident this year from the Northern Virginia Soil and Water Conservation District, with a check to be issued to the awardee.
April 1, 2022
Applications must arrive at the the Northern Virginia Soil and Water Conservation District (NVSWCD) office by this date. (Mailed applications should be postmarked at least three working days beforehand to ensure arrival by the deadline.) Students may also drop off their complete application during regular office hours.
Northern Virginia Soil & Water Conservation District
12055 Government Center Parkway, Suite 905, Fairfax, VA 22035
April 22, 2022
Each of Virginia's 47 soil and water conservation districts in the state may nominate one applicant. At this point, an application selected by the NVSWCD evaluation committee is forwarded to the Virginia Association of Soil and Water Conservation Districts scholarship committee for consideration. Not a resident of Fairfax County? Virginia residents can find their local SWCD here.
Early May 2022
Scholarship winners announced.
College Scholarship Application
To have an application sent to you via U.S. mail or in an alternative format, email NVSWCD or call 703-324-1460, TTY 711.